Lisa Bondurant

My photo
I spend my time raising kids, gathering eggs, cutting wood, scoping out trees for tapping, making syrup in the last days of winter, watching my garden NOT grow in the summer, writing, wishing that there were more hours on the clock for sleeping.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Sour Dough Apple Cake

Honestly, I came up with this cake because I had way to many apples that needed used yesterday and more sourdough starter then three chuck wagon cooks could use.This cake is very good and makes up quickly! I bake it in a cast iron skillet and when done it looks really cool!

3/4 cup of flour
1 cup of sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 nutmeg
1/4 tsp. salt
4 apples, peeled & sliced thick
1/3 cup butter
1 cup sour dough starter
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 350.
Mix together the flour,  1/2 cup sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg & salt.
Peel and slice apples and cover with the other half of sugar.
Place the iron skillet with the butter in the hot oven, careful not to burn the butter.
Beat eggs and sourdough together.
Mix the flour and sourdough egg mixture together, don't over mix.
Take the hot skillet from the oven and pour the batter into it.
Arrange the apple slices on the top of the batter. They will sink a bit. The batter will begin to bubble and rise right away as it hits the hot pan.
Bake for about 45 minutes or until the apples are tender and the batter test clean on a knife.
Let set for 15 to 20 minutes then serve warm.

1 comment:

trail walker said...

I like the fish!:D




Gabriella Bondurant